Saturday, August 13, 2011

Thankfully, The Lord MAKES Me Lie Down in Green Pastures

Like everyone else in this crazy world in these end times, I have been bombarded with trials lately. They have taken me away from my Bible study, from my "rest". The 23rd Psalm was recently brought back to my remembrance....hmmm, by Whom, I wonder? :-)

I have been able to appreciate that the Lord is my Shepherd, and that He fulfills my needs; there is nothing more I should ever want or need. I know He is the only One Who can really restore my soul. I have come to know that only by spending time in the Word of God and in prayer can I calm the storms of my life. But sometimes things are just so hectic and time seems too short to take the necessary time to be with Him. That's when He MAKES me lie down in those green pastures!

Have you ever wondered about that terminology that He MAKES us lie down? I knew I needed His rest, but I woke up this morning with a desire to learn more about the fact that He MAKES me take that rest.

As I have stated in articles before, I like to study the old commentaries and study guides and references. In the past 100 years or so, I believe the teachings have gone astray with more liberal ideas. I prefer conservative teachings taken straight from the Word of God itself.

It was interesting that I could not initially get much information on the word translated as "maketh" in verse 2 of the 23rd Psalm:

"He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters."

Concordances and lexicons seemed to lump "He maketh me to lie down" into one word "rabats", meaning "crouch (down), fall down, make a fold, lay (cause to, make to) lie (down), make to rest, sit". So there is a sense that the word can mean more than voluntarily lying down or resting; it can mean "caused to or made to lie down".

Most of the old commentaries reflected more on the restful words of the second verse of the 23rd Psalm. Green pastures and still waters: cool, refreshing, still, and restful. One commentary, The Treasury of David, by Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-1892), reflected beautifully on the "maketh" part of that scripture:

"But observe: 'He maketh me to lie down.' It is the Lord who graciously enables us to perceive the preciousness of his truth, and to feed upon it. How grateful ought we to be for the power to appropriate the promises! There are some distracted souls who would give worlds if they could but do this. They know the blessedness of it, but they cannot say that this blessedness is theirs. They know the 'green pastures,' but they are not made to 'lie down' in them. Those believers who have for years enjoyed a 'full assurance of faith' should greatly bless their gracious God."

I DO thank my sweet Lord for making me lie down, reminding me HIMSELF of His Word and His promises continually. He has been there constantly. Even as I feel I am being attacked, I can feel His presence and see His blessings in the midst of it. I know He is with me:

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."

From the 4th verse, we know that our Lord's rod and staff are constantly guiding us and leading us, even in the very midst of our trials, and I do know that firsthand.

But today I am marveling in the fact that my Lord MADE me stop and rest in Him! He alone restores my soul! Praise the Lord!

No comments: