Monday, March 21, 2011

The One Source for Truth

In this time when our leaders cannot be trusted and the "news" media cannot be trusted, there is only one place we can go for truth, to our heavenly Father and His written Word. Jesus told us that we must watch what is going on; we are to watch and pray.

"Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man." - Luke 21:36

We are not to be ignorant of the times, but we must not place our faith in people, our government, or in a secure future here on earth. These are definitely perilous times, but our God did not leave us defenseless. He gave us Jesus Christ to save us from death, real eternal death:

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

To those who accept His gift of salvation, He gives His Holy Spirit:

"However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come." - John 16:13

In addition, there is the Bible, God's written Word, available to anyone who will pick it up and read it. That Word was left for our instruction and for our wisdom. There is no wisdom outside of God.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. - 2 Timothy 3:16

For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding. - Proverbs 2:6

There is no wisdom or understanding or counsel against the LORD. - Proverbs 21:30

But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— - 1 Corinthians 1:30

All are necessary for real wisdom and truth: salvation in Jesus Christ with Him as the Lord of our lives, fellowship and prayer with the Heavenly Father, the Holy Spirit to lead us in truth, and the Bible as God's written Word and our guide for living. We must have the covering of the perfect sacrifice of Jesus for our sins first and foremost. That is what allows us to be able to approach the Holy God of the universe. Jesus sends us the Holy Spirit to lead us in truth when we are saved by Him. But we must not stop there. I believe immersion in the written Word of God is necessary, too. After all, there are many spirits out there competing for our souls.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. - 1 John 4:1

And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works. - 2 Corinthians 11:14-15

Many false religions have been started by people who had a vision. There is one sure way to know if the spirit that is leading you is the Holy Spirit or a demonic spirit masquerading as the Holy Spirit:

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. - 1 John 4:1

How can we test the spirits? We see if they line up with the Word of God:

These (the Bereans) were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. - Acts 17:11

The Bereans did not take the word of Paul and Silas; they searched the scriptures DAILY to see if what they told them was true. If only we all did the same! There would not be so many false religions and so many deceived people falling for false doctrines and "wise" worldly ideas. We would all have the true wisdom of God, which is the ONLY wisdom. Man's wisdom is foolishness.

While we should be watching what is going on in the world today, we need the daily study of God's Word as the standard by which to measure the fruit of men's actions. Jesus said:

Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them. - Matthew 7:15-20

By their fruits you will know them! I'm sorry, but even though our president may throw around a few Bible references and talk about hope and change and a greater good, he is to be judged by his fruits. Consider that he has the most pro-abortion record in history, to the point of voting THREE TIMES for the murder of babies BORN ALIVE OUTSIDE THE WOMB because of a failed abortion attempt. Consider his actions on the world stage by immediately repealing the Mexico City policy and spreading and increasing abortions worldwide. Consider his repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and his other promotions of homosexuality. Consider his complete lawlessness when he seeks to ignore laws and rulings he doesn't like, as with immigration laws and rulings against his Obamacare. A good tree CANNOT bear bad fruit; only a bad tree bears bad fruit. It's just that matter of fact.

I just read something I had not previously heard about Corrie ten Boom. She believed, more than just reading the Word, we should start trying to memorize the Bible! She believed the antichrist would destroy Bibles and the only Bible some of us may have in the end times is what we have memorized and hidden away in our hearts. I also heard tell of the testimony of a man who spent a long time in solitary confinement. He survived by singing hymns and reciting scripture. He commented he wished he had paid more attention in church so that he might have remembered more scriptures!

I found a wonderful free tool for Bible study in e-Sword. It has a scripture memory tool which allows the user to enter scriptures of his choosing, and be tested on them for as long as needed until they are truly embedded in his heart.

In the past, I have enjoyed reading chronologically ordered Bibles. It is very interesting to read multiple accounts of the same event at the same time as it gives a complete description of the event. In addition, I enjoy reading the psalm that was sung at the same time as the event which inspired it. In the past, I have read through the Bible, and when starting over, have chosen a different version or method of study when I began again. So every time I began a new Bible study, I was reading a different version. I have come to realize that only the King James Version is to be trusted. In my current study, I am using an online Bible from Blue Letter Bible, but there are many to choose from. I am reading both the King James Version and the New King James versions. I believe the KJV is the most reliable and I have discussed this before. But there are times when the NKJV just makes it a little easier to understand without the "thee's" and "thou's", etc. I found a chronological study online that is not its own Bible, but allows you to use your own Bible and gives you the chronological order in which to read it. It is entitled A Chronological Bible Reading Schedule by Skip Andrews. In addition, I am making my Bible reading more comprehensive this time by using Strong's Concordance to give me the original meaning of any word that may be a little difficult to understand, especially if I notice a difference in the KJV and the NKJV of the text. If I need further understanding, I use the many commentaries found on my downloaded e-Sword program. As I gain a complete understanding of each scripture, I rewrite it in my own journal, in the language I understand best. It is almost always the KJV, with some of the NKJV's newer American words instead of the old English. Occasionally, when I don't understand the Old English word, but the NKJV seems to have altered the meaning, then I use the Strong's and find the best translation that I can personally understand. While I am doing this exhaustive study and journaling this time, when I come across scriptures that really speak to my heart or ones I just want to remember, I enter them into the scripture memory tool in my e-Sword program. It's taking a lot longer to read my Bible this time around, but I believe I will have a much more thorough understanding when I am finished.

Since I am transcribing the Bible verses in a computer journal anyway, I want to start posting it here on this blog with any study notes and with any comments on correlations to current events. After all, the Bible is the ONE source for truth! Watching today's news (and lack thereof!) and current events through the lens of the Bible can take on a whole new meaning. I hope this blog will find readers and fellow students of the Bible who would like to join in a discussion. I welcome any comments or even debate, as the Word of God always stands true. It's true that we may not always see it 100% accurately:

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. - 1 Corinthians 13:12

However, I am confident that with Jesus Christ as Lord, communion with God in prayer and thanksgiving, and the leading of the Holy Spirit, we can receive much knowledge and wisdom from the scriptures!

No comments: